Well, it’s not exactly a secret and it is surely not the secret to getting more leads, but it can and it should play a big role. The art of getting leads and closing sales is in applying the science of understanding how people think and behave. That science is psychology.
Failure to understand how people think and behave and to apply that understanding in lead generation and conversion inevitably restricts your business to the low-hanging fruit. Understanding what motivates people to make decisions makes the whole orchard ripe for picking.
All People Are the Same But Different
There are principles of psychology that can be applied to all people, yet there are different personality types that respond to stimuli in different ways. For instance, not that all firemen are the same personality types, but they run to a fire, while the rest of us run from it. That’s a big difference, and it illustrates that there are personality differences. However, before attempting to groom any business strategy to a particular personality type, business leaders need to know how to appeal to people in general.
Fundamental Psychological Techniques that Work
There are several fundamental psychological techniques that can be applied to gain the attention of potential clients.
- Create a Pavlovian Response. Golden arches. That’s such a strong identifier that we both know what you just thought. There is an attorney in South Carolina whose TV commercials all begin with the two tympani beats very similar to the ones that start the Law & Order theme. When that commercial comes on, everyone knows whose it is and what the next two words are. A strong identifier breaks through the noise and embeds a company name and image in people’s minds so much that when they need home improvement services, they call your company.
- Become a Recognized Authority. If you wait for people to find you, they won’t have any idea about what you know or don’t know. By posting blogs and using social media, for instance, you can establish yourself and your business as the authority in home improvement in your market. People will not only recognize your name, they will gravitate toward your expertise.
- Establish Credibility. Include customer reviews on your website and other marketing collateral. Great reviews engender confidence in others. Differentiate your business so that you stand apart from the crowd. Explain why your home improvement business is better and even unique.
- Use the Power of Reciprocity.Engage people in a relationship. This can be done on a community level by participating in and supporting local events and causes. Offer people something of value for free on your website, e.g., The 10 Most Important Things You Need to Know about Home Improvement, in the form of a download. Not only will you have appealed to their sense of value, you will also have their contact information! Help somebody. The power of random acts of kindness is often rewarded in return and in abundance. You don’t even have to tell anyone. The people you help will generate your leads for you.
- Be consistent and constant. Implementing action plans for the preceding points – and doing them continually – will make people more familiar with your business, putting your business top-of-mind when they need the services you offer.
These actions are based on proven psychological principles, and they yield predictable, positive results. In fact, Keyword Connects can attest to their power. Take a look at the Why We’re Better page on our website and you will see some of these actions applied. We know that they are not just theories. We know that they work. And we encourage you to follow our lead.
And, speaking of “lead,” we are the leader in lead generation in the home improvement industry. Get in touch with us and let us show you how we can fill your pipeline with genuine, convertible leads that will help to grow your business.