Outdated colors. Dysfunctional layout. A much-needed equity boost. Sound familiar?
Every home improvement contractor can recognize the big motivations behind a remodel. Right now, Google is feeling that exact same way. Only instead of a home, they own the search engine result pages (SERPs).
In 2020, Google Ads will undertake a major remodel. Here’s what you need to know about what will change and how it will impact your lead generation efforts (spoiler alert: it’s all good).
More Than Bells and Whistles
For a long time, there were two types of Google ads: search and display. That’s changing in 2020. Google will roll out new ad types that reflect the current demands of online searchers.
The good news? This is fresh ground for lead generation. Here are two key ad types where you can stake your claim:
- Gallery ads; these will appear on the SERP home page as an image carousel, alongside custom ad copy and contact information.
- Responsive search ads; these ads have more headlines, more descriptions and more extensions than the average search ad. Google then matches the best mix of content to a homeowner searching for your services.
Since these ad types are only a few months old (truly baby ads), you’ll want to strategize how to incorporate them before launch and A/B test.
Automated Bidding Means More Winning
Google will punch the gas pedal on machine learning this year, specifically on bidding. And while it is a “set it and forget it” design, it will only work if you are using the best bidding automations for your goals. For contractors who want leads, those are:
- Smart bidding; Google uses their 20 years of paid search data to bid on keywords that match your unique performance goals.
- Target cost per action (CPA); select your end goal (calls, web form conversions, etc.) and Google will bid in a way that maximizes the potential for action.
In theory, yes, you could probably automate an entire campaign. But that doesn’t mean you should. Effective campaigns are built by real humans, the robots are just here to help.
Broader Benchmarks for Success
Calculating ROI has long been a simple formula. Not anymore. In 2020, paid search success will lie not with the performance of your individual ads, but in the value of your brand on Google.
What does that mean? Two things, primarily:
- Google will be evaluating how you leverage your brand across its advertising products, in addition to how you market your services.
- Running multiple campaign types will improve brand awareness, making it more likely for a homeowner to click on your ad. Google loves those clicks.
A better formula for success will help your company achieve better results and more growth. But that doesn’t mean you have to upend your metrics. If you have a brand strategy in place, keep that in mind as you use these new features in 2020.
Building Better Value at Warp Google Speed
Google has wasted no time in rolling out these changes – many “rooms” in the Google Ads house are already being gutted. And just like a real remodeling job, the best results come from professionals. PPC specialists will deliver the best value for your money in this brave new Google world.
It’s going to be a good year, folks.